What is a Manufacturing Execution system (MES)?
What is an MES
A Manufacturing Execution System (MES) is a software or computerized system commonly used in the manufacturing industry. It is used to monitor, control and document the processes which transform an item from its raw materials to a finished article.
An MES can vary in complexity from almost being considered an ERP (but not quite) to a very simple process control system (within an excel file for example).
The Manufacturing Execution System Association (MESA) international originally defined an MES as having the following attributes below.
- Operations detail and sequencing
- Resource allocation and status
- Dispatching production unit
- Performance analysis
- Maintenance management
- Process management
- Quality management
- Data collection/acquisition
- Product tracking and genealogy
- Labor management
- Document control
VKS as an MES
VKS is a Smart Manufacturing solution, and as such it opens many new doors to companies. VKS' unique value-add is that a company who has no software in place to guide their operations can implement VKS and receive massive gains.
By using VKS at its highest level of integration you will be able to:
- Have clear and concise operation work instructions.
- Minimize the data entry (transactions) that feeds your ERP.
- Maximise productivity by seamless integration and performing lean processes.
- Capitalize on your quality with all employees executing your best practices.
- Eradicate paper from your shop floor.
- Simplify and streamline your processes to become a digital workforce.
- Seamless document control with built in revisions, histories and approvals.
- Easy access to digital drawings, specifications and deviations
- And much more!
If your company has an ERP in place that has the capabilities to do resource management and scheduling, VKS can help you bridge the gap between your shop floor and your information. VKS can be the IoT (Internet of Things) solution for capturing and facilitating the data transmission of your critical events directly from the employee, all the while benefiting your shop floor with clear crisp work instructions.
VKS Working with your MES
If you already have an MES, it is generally your source of truth and it would be impossible to live without it. However in many cases, MES’ fall short when it comes to showing your employees the details of each job. VKS can help you bridge the gap, between your shop floor and your information systems. In this scenario, you can use VKS to provide best in class work instructions by presenting your processes using pictures, videos, annotations, and text. The two are easily brought together, simply create your work instructions within VKS and then link them into your MES.